Thursday, April 14, 2011

#17 - Basic Patisserie Preparations

So, pictures (apologies in advance - it takes too long to line them up perfectly):
Poulet Roti, Ognion glace et Broccoli a L'Anglaise - replated (Chef got the perfect ones and I only had one onion left...) - yesterday's Cuisine practical
Today's class
I won't bore you with the details, but a typo (possibly?) in a recipe almost got me unstuck in class.  It's a big difference whether the ratio of egg white to sugar is 1:1 or 1:2.  Ahem.  Anyway, it eventually got fixed and most importantly, I wasn't the last one finished today!  And I had made a mistake...cause for celebration, much rejoicing and a little jig in my head.  Also, no injuries, so a definite bonus.

Also, the vile headache finally subsided - after more panadol, lots of water and a mocha frappacino from Starbucks (yes, I finally caved!  I needed the sugar and caffeine to get me through the day...) 
Meringue Piping Practice - before baking
  
Chantilly Cream Piping practice (Chef N's shapes
are the first two on the far left of each row) 









   

 
 Meringues after being baked
(Very nice - a little uneven, but will be very
good after some practice)

And now, tasting and judgment...

   










The Creme Chibouste (in the bowl - combination of patisserie cream and italian meringue) was too liquid - no whipping the meringue when adding the cream!  Whoops...

Tomorrow the girls and I have planned on visiting the Borough Markets.  I'm not sure quite what to expect, but it's in a lot of the guidebooks and visitor guides so not to be missed.  Plus - they have good coffee!  Or so I've heard.

Now - on to dinner #2...we were all making meringues and creams in class but everyone was hungry and left wanting something salty.  I just wanted to go home and go to bed.  Going to class in rubber slippers and a t-shirt is fine, but it's a bit chilly not to have a jacket when we go out at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment