Tuesday, August 16, 2011

#35 - Is it over yet?

I had a dream...
that the nightmare of looming exams was over.  And then I woke up and thought, "I should practice the Opera."  Of course you know that didn't happen...

Today was the second day we didn't cook in class.  Felt decidedly odd and while I wasn't motivated enough to cook this morning, I ended up turning mushrooms while cooking dinner - spaghettie bolognese.  I think I am still recovering from yesterday's wine tech class.  I won't bore you with the details - the interesting part was the 7 wine blind tasting at the end of the lecture.  I got 5/7 - although it's really more like 3/5 - the last 4 wines were 2 of the same grape, just a bit different (different places and ages).

The unfortunate part of all this is that I am unable to drink alcohol of any description and be fine at the end of it.  I forgot to spit the first 2 wines (white)...I remembered for the rest - reminded by the sudden feeling of being really hot and a bit nauseated.  Yup, alcohol intolerance was making itself felt and class wasn't even half over.

There were plans for dinner after class for which I am extremely grateful.  It helped a bit but at midnight last night, I was fixing some baguette (what else?) with some cheddar cheese and a fig and almond loaf.  The craving for protein and carbs hadn't abated by the end of class today, hence the spaghetti dinner.  In the meantime, I had lots of mushrooms which needed to be turned (practice for Cuisine final) and eaten - so that they wouldn't get all slimy and have to be thrown out like the last package - oops.

Here are my turned mushrooms - yes, they are uneven and inconsistent.  I think I finally had my Eureka moment though - it is now a little less guessing, hoping and praying that the peel will come off - you can feel when it's going to be an inaccurate cut even as it begins.  As for how to correct it - well, not there yet but the thought of turning mushrooms makes me feel a little less like whining and wondering whose silly idea this was (mine) than last week.

Now if only I can get the time to do those darn cakes...

Until next time - may your get up and go stay with you instead of getting up and going without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment