Tuesday, March 8, 2011

#5 - In which I find a home...

(Also known as "Take that, stamp guy!")
(Home)
As absurd as it may seem, I have found a flat in London, set up a bank account and a mobile phone.  The flat that I saw on my first day here (see the 4th entry) is the one I signed the lease for yesterday afternoon.  Then it was on to set up a bank account, which I duly did this afternoon.  I must admit, it was a bit odd to be charged a "lease preparation fee" where there were several errors (none of the agreed amendments were in the document when I first went to sign the lease and it had the wrong post code and a few other details) which I picked up.  Perhaps I should send them a bill for my review and time???

(Bank)
So many people warned me about how hard it would be to open an account, but I am guessing the banks must have somehow made new products because I walked in, sat down and about an hour later, had a bank account.  What with all the warnings, I expected the difficulties to arise with the bank staff.  Nothing could be further from the truth - they were very helpful.  Some of the other customers, on the other hand...

A couple of men had an altercation which eventually led to the bank staff getting involved.  One of them (customers, not bank employees...) apparently, had cut in front of the other and the other wasn't having any of it.  Fair enough, I haven't been shy about telling people there's a line either...but the volume grew and I made sure I stayed behind the partition where I had been about to ask the bank employee to help me open a bank account.

So - it's open.  Take that, immigration guy with the stamp at the airport!  I would never have been able to do this in France...my French is no longer good enough.

Friends galore
London also has the advantage of being a lot closer to friends who don't live here.  For instance, I thought SO was still back in Singapore, but I got a pleasant surprise when I got a message from her saying she is nearby.

I had forgotten CF lived here too, but that memory lapse didn't last long.  We have also traded details and will need to make plans to catch up.

Lastly, my friend UP from postgrad just happens to have landed at Heathrow.  He says it's been eight years since we've been in the same country, which I find hard to believe.  Really???  We have arranged to meet tomorrow - no suspects for dinner venues, but it may just be a wandering until something catches our eyes.  After all, we have a lot of ground to cover (babies, travel, jobs...)

Am currently warm for the first time today.  It has been cold enough that I check my nose and ears when I go out at night - just to make sure they're still attached.  Aching from cold indicates they are still with me, but you can never be too sure...

And now, for dinner tonight...must ponder.  Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Anna,

    Sounds like a bunch of fun! I was just talking to a friend today about my time in Britain. Good memories for sure...hope you think so when you've returned.

    Speidel

    ReplyDelete