Thursday, March 31, 2011

#9 - First Day (aka Orientation) - 31 March 2011

So sleepy...I didn't sleep much last night because I was afraid I might oversleep, but am paying the price for it now.

Orientation
Today was orientation at the school.  We got our uniforms, knife kits, ID cards and security swipes.  I think they didn't want to overload us with information, so classes don't actually start until tomorrow (medium day - only 6 hours).  We have 2 - 3 days a week where we are there for 9 hours of class and it looks like we have at least 2 Saturdays a month as well.  This Saturday we have class from 9-4 (slight break - they usually start at 8am) with an exam at the end of the day.  We have to pass it in order to be able to continue the course - food safety.  I guess it's a bad look if we all kill each other off during the course - such bad PR!

As with the first day of class anywhere, there was the usual admin (attendance policy, assessments, filling out your contact details, fiddling with your combination lock for the locker) and some extra admin (checking we had all pieces of our uniform, trying not to die laughing at each other in our uniforms - more on that later) and a practice fire drill.  The fire drill had chefs herding their their groups of orientees (???) down whichever fire stairs were nearest.  All I could think of was how much we all resembled what I imagined the line of ducklings behind Konrad Lorenz must have looked like.  There just happened to be many more of us milling around outside while the chefs counted noses.

Schedule
April is a bit messed up - we get the entire Easter weekend but the royal wedding doesn't keep us from having class that Saturday.  I'm sure it will be a lovely wedding but it really hasn't helped us because we still have to go to class that long weekend.  So much for taking off the 4 days and escaping London.  Maybe I will just make sure I have done grocery shopping (or saved food from class) and hide in the apartment with a good book...

Unfortunately the schedule only goes to the end of this session, so all I know about late June is that we have our first day of the next session on 24 June.  This session ends on 22 June so we have a whole day between terms.  There are a few days where nothing is scheduled so I am hoping that there will be a few unofficial days off , in which case I will make up for missing the second April long weekend and possibly go somewhere.

For the moment, any thoughts of travel (with possibly the exception of the Easter long weekend) have been put on hold.  As far as I can see, we don't have a break until September 9 - September (30?)...

Pretty knives
There is a man at the Bond Street Tube station who engraves everyone's knives and other equipment (except a couple of plastic scraper / spatulas).  He was a bit overwhelmed when 7 girls presented themselves with their sets at the same time.  Luckily TN and I managed to beat the rush so my knives and things will be ready for tomorrow's class.  We don't start until the afternoon (3-9pm) so I even have time to go to ballet in the morning and then have a little nap before class.

I am looking forward to learning - all these important basics.  I think we actually put hands to knives on Monday - tomorrow is demonstrations only and I have no idea what Saturday entails but it is some sort of public health thing so they are bringing in outside lecturers from some government agency to do it.  I've been told that carrying our knife kits around without a lock counts as carrying a concealed weapon.  Or in this case, multiple concealed weapons?  But they are so pretty!  Surely weapons aren't supposed to be pretty?  I'm also wondering what knife skills we will learn in the basic Patisserie - other than cutting croissants (which is in the intermediate course, I think) I don't know what we would be cutting up for bread-ish type things.

Wish us good luck!  My current aim is to successfully finish the whole Grand Diplome course AND to avoid food poisoning - causing it or catching it.

Class members
It hasn't been confirmed yet, but it looks like our Cuisine chef will be Chef FJ, who took care of the latter part of orientation today.  There are five (I think) French chefs teaching various modules, plus a Canadian, an Irish and a couple of others.  I thought there would be more male students, but in our group, there is only one man (and he is doing Patisserie only).  The other group seems to have 3 men.  Although they registered about 80 students today, it appears that 20 of us are doing the Grand Diplome, so we have been allocated evenly between two chefs.
My class doesn't seem to have anyone who is already a professional chef - whew!  It's stressful if you think you are the one holding up the whole class.  That could still happen of course, but chances are less than if everyone had already worked in professional kitchens.

Uniforms (aka NOT the reason why I chose to go to cooking school)
We tried on our uniforms in the locker rooms downstairs between the morning and afternoon orientation sessions.  The pants are high waisted, houndstooth (navy blue and white) with elastic at the back.  Sounds oh-so-fresh-off-the-runways of Paris, non?  Let's just say that there is room enough to wear an adult diaper and two sofa cushions in the pants and still have room left over.  And they're long - I think many of us will end up just rolling up the legs because we need to wear them to all lectures/demonstrations/practical classes from tomorrow on.  We are allowed one opportunity to enter class missing an element of the uniform.  (I've never seen anyone wearing the neckerchief.)  After that, we are not allowed to come in and we are marked as absent.  If you miss a demo, you are not allowed to go to the prac (= 2 absences).  5 absences for cuisine = fail that course (i.e. basic cuisine).

No, we're not in kindergarten - but they are trying to teach us to be professional.  And punctual...punctuality is not my strong suit, especially since I stopped wearing a watch.  We are not allowed to wear watches in class.  So I now leave half an hour to get to class, even though class is 7 minutes' walk down the street.  I should say, I will try to leave half an hour before class.

So - we have covered the ridiculous pants.  The jackets - look good on some, look stupid on others.  I belong to the latter category.  TN and I are both short, with correspondingly short limbs.  This means that you can't see our hands when the jacket sleeves are full length.  Following the examples of the chefs, I think we can also roll these up and not bother with alterations.  Altering cuffs take time.

Next - the hats.  Ah the hats - they actually look good on some of the girls with their hair down.  They look good on no on with their hair up.  We all have to have our hair up (if it is longer than shoulder length) and wear a hairnet.  Nightmare visions of tuckshop ladies (cafeteria ladies for us Americans) have been dancing in my head since I read about the hair nets about a year ago, especially once the tuckshop lady had been explained to me.

Obviously none of us will be trying to look anything more or less than ridiculous.  The kitchen is not the place for fashion.  Or makeup.  or jewellery.  Or perfume.  My Dad would love it...I have to say, they are all sensible rules.  Plus, no amount of anything is going to lessen the effect of those hats and those pants...

People have asked why no photos of the uniform, to which I answer - because vanity knows no bounds!  Any lofty idea I ever had about not being vain (and let's face it, who could ever claim to be so, honestly?) have been brutally squashed on confronting the image in the mirror with a hat on its head.  I did say that I was going to share the good, the bad and the ugly.  This is none of those things so I feel no guilt in witholding pictures.  Who said you should always leave them wanting more?

Lastly...
The kitchen is a dangerous place.  I didn't tell them I am clumsy - but I have a cut on my thumb and I have no idea how it got there.  I don't remember using any knives yesterday and today at the engravers, the man showed us our toolkit and all the knives remained in their coverings.

The school says that we must notify the chef of any injury, especially if there is blood - so that they can assess whether we need to be sent to the emergency room.  They must be used to it - in addition to the war stories, they listed 4 - or was it 6? - emergency rooms in the near-ish area.  Thank goodness I already registered for health insurance!  Let's see - NHS:  check.  Private health insurance:  check.  Travel insurance (from Australia for this entire trip):  check.  They can all argue about who's paying for what.

In the meantime, um, Chef?  My finger wasn't bleeding so I didn't tell you about that cut on my left thumb, but when I went to dice the carrot...where did you say the band aids were again?  I promise, I didn't have any wine at lunch...

No comments:

Post a Comment