Sunday, December 4, 2011

#61 - Good news...

Burn update
Well I won't be ready in time for my Cuisine final and mostlikely for the Patisserie final.  Can't discuss dates with school yet for the exam as hand has begun to heal but still has a way to go (some skin has started to grow back - cause for much rejoicing on Friday).  This has resulted in having fewer dressings applied so that I can do my exercises.  Tradeoff for being unable to do schoolwork:  homework assigned by the PT/OT.  And a joke by one of the nurses when I asked how often I should do the exercises ("oh, every half hour or so").  I couldn't see her face when she said it, so it took half a sec to figure out she was having a little fun.  Also, I hadn't had my coffee yet.

Hand is much better although we had had to make arrangements for my theory exams - both (written) exams are tomorrow and the hand is still somewhat out of action.

Have had some entertaining classes.  Chef FJ occasionally "lets" people assist him during demos (i.e. shelling shrimp) or sometimes has people do something not necessarily related to his demo but related to things we had in class that people may have trouble with.  On Friday it was more of an assistance - and possibly just to speed things up a bit.  PB was drafted to heat a couple of things and to cook a couple of things in preparation for Chef's plating and service.  I was too slow to get him in full flight, but he reheated a couple of different veggies, sauteed the spinach and cooked the duck breasts while the rest of us watched (and possibly silently judged).  He did a very nice job on everything.

Other happenings
One of my girlfriends from Sydney, EN, is in town.  We happened to miss each other due to various reasons, so managed dinner and a movie (The Tower Heist - relatively entertaining with Ben Stiller at his unobnoxious best and a rather good cast) in Leicester Square last night.

Today was an exhibit called the Heart of the Great Alone, a part of the Royal Collection and held in Buckingham Palace.  It was about various Antactic expeditions by UK explorers about 100 years ago.  I thought it would just be photoraphs.  On the surface it was, but it was put together extremely well and I was unexpectedly touched while listening to the audio-guides.  Of course I am a sucker for good music and Elgar's Nimrod Overture was used very effectively during some of the commentary.

Must run - time to study a bit more and try to focus.  So until next time, may your distractions be few but welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment